If you’re looking for a toothbrush with custom cleaning modes and features that can take your tooth care regimen to the next level, the Philips Sonicare DiamondClean is an excellent choice.
This brush uses gentle but effective Sonic technology to clean teeth with 31,000 brush strokes per minute.
This cutting-edge technology can remove 5x more plaque than a manual toothbrush.
Sonicare technology isn’t the only reason to consider the DiamondClean toothbrush. This toothbrush is equipped with five different modes which are ideal for different purposes (cleaning, polishing, whitening, or gum care) and for different types of gums (regular and sensitive gums).
For that reason, it is a great choice regardless of your personal needs.
While the Philips Sonicare DiamondClean is an exciting toothbrush, it doesn’t come cheap.
As of the time of this review, more than 1,800 customers on Amazon.com have reviewed the Sonicare DiamondClean, and the 4.5 star consensus is clear: most buyers consider the high price tag to be worth it.
I couldn’t personally recommend a toothbrush in that price bracket to readers without trying it, though, so I bought it and tested it.
Did it measure up?
Here are my findings!
I have tried many electric toothbrushes, and this is not your typical low-tech vibrating brush with nothing more than an “on” and “off” switch!
The DiamondClean features a slim, comfortable, ergonomic handle, two different options for charging, and even a USB charging travel case. There is even a timer which will let you know if you have brushed long enough according to professional dental guidelines!
The medium-stiff bristles are diamond-shaped, which boosts the density of the bristle pattern. This combined with the Sonicare technology helps the bristles to really get into those hard-to-reach spaces. Sonicare generates a “sweeping” motion which pushes your toothpaste into the spaces between your teeth and along your gums.
I had no problem reaching into those little nooks and crannies with the standard brush head, but DiamondClean also came with a compact brush head. You can use this to get into even tighter spaces if you are really struggling. I imagine this would be great if you had a permanent retainer.
- Rechargeable battery lasts up to 3 weeks on a single charge (42 uses).
- Comes with two DiamondClean brush heads (standard and compact), one charging glass, one charging base, one USB charging travel case, and a USB cable and wall plug.
- Philips Sonicare DiamondClean guarantees whiter teeth in one week and healthier gums in two weeks. They’re quite serious about this. If you don’t get better results at your next checkup (in 28 days), they will give your money back.
- Comes with a 24-month warranty. At this price bracket, this is really important.
As I mentioned earlier, there are five different cleaning modes:
- Clean: This quick two-minute mode is perfect for everyday use.
- Whiten: Have some tough stains on your front teeth? This two-minute whitening mode will take care of them. Thirty seconds more polishing time make for a sparkling, luminous smile.
- Polish: If you need even more polishing, try this advanced mode.
- Gum care: Gently stimulate your gums for optimal gum health.
- Sensitive: Use this mode if you have sensitive gums and need a gentle, yet thorough, cleaning job.
Pros of the Philips Sonicare DiamondClean:
- The ceramic finish on the ergonomic handle of this brush is awesome! It won’t slip in your hand when it gets wet, which is incredibly helpful.
- This toothbrush is designed not just for tooth health, but for gum health as well. Gum care is actually what I have a tough time with, so this is a must for me.
- If you find other electric toothbrushes too intense, you will love the sensitive gums mode. As another customer stated, you don’t feel like your whole mouth is vibrating when you are done. Instead, you get a really great feeling in your gums from the gentle stimulation and improved blood flow.
- Having two different options for charging provides flexibility and allows you to go with whichever is more convenient for you. Many buyers particularly praise the travel charging case. Personally, I found it much easier to use than the glass charger, even though the glass charger was a cool idea.
- There really is a noticeable difference in whiteness after a week. Numerous customers also attest that there was a noticeable difference between dental checkups and cleanings after they started with the DiamondClean brush.
- There really is an astonishing number of features here. Customers particularly love the timer as well as the design of the brush head. As one buyer stated, “Finely engineered precision instrument. Has a nice feel to it, in the hand and in use. Very pleasing aesthetic look to it like comparing a Ferrari to, well, any other vehicle … once I complete the brushing, my mouth feels like it has just been overhauled!”
- Customers report that Philips has outstanding customer service.
Cons of the Philips Sonicare DiamondClean:
- While the cleaning modes are exceptionally useful, some customers find switching between them confusing. Most buyers seem to find one or two modes they prefer and stick to those. I didn’t have a problem with this after I read the instructions manual and operation was really straightforward to me.
- You do occasionally need to change the brush heads. They are not cheap. The toothbrush itself is not cheap either. I’d say the cost of the replacement brush heads is really the biggest detractor.
- While I have yet to have a mechanical failure with this brush, they are not unheard of. Some customers did report faulty brushes and problems over time. Thankfully the majority reported that customer service was fast to provide replacements as needed under the warranty.
This brush comes with a ton of great features, however, and it seriously provides outstanding performance. I love how my gums feel after using it; my whole mouth feels refreshed. Within a couple of weeks, I noticed my gums were a lot pinker (they used to be pretty red), and my teeth had that polished smoothness and shine I usually associate with a professional cleaning.
The Philips Sonicare DiamondClean really is the Ferrari of electric toothbrushes, so if you are serious about tooth and gum care, give it a go!