I hate the feeling of constipation … the uncomfortable symptoms of it all.
Thankfully, I hardly get constipation as I try to get some fiber in my diet every day.
My husband on the other hand, gets constipation on a daily basis as he hates eating vegetables – which is why we looked for the best probiotics for constipation.
What are the best probiotics for constipation?
Read on to find out!
What are Probiotics?
Probiotics are live microorganisms that offer health benefits if you consume them in adequate amount https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002586/.
Probiotics are used to treat a number of medical conditions such as allergy-related diseases, urinary tract infections, antibiotic-related diarrhea, C. Difficile colitis, ulcerative colitis, and infectious diarrhea and to prevent tooth decay, infections in the respiratory tract and relapses from Crohn’s disease https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002586/.
Benefits of Probiotics for Constipation
About 14% of the general population suffers from constipation.
If you suffer from constipation, your doctor may give you a laxative or stool softener. However, a full 50% of patients do not get full relief of their symptoms from these measures http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/100/4/1075.long.
If you are one of these people, probiotics may be beneficial.
How do probiotics relieve constipation?
They change the type of bacteria in your gut to a more gut-friendly type and produce more lactate and short chain fatty acids in your gut, which increases the acidity of your gut which may increase bowel movements and decrease the amount of time that waste stays in your gut http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/100/4/1075.long.
What does research say about the effectiveness of probiotics in relieving constipation?
A study conducted on 300 patients with constipation found that those treated with a combination of Lactobacillus plantarum LP01 and Bifidobacterium breve BR03 or with Bifidobacterium lactis BS01had improvements in their constipation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20697291.
Another study conducted on 70 patients with constipation found that Lactobacillus casei Shirota helped relieve their constipation http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/100/4/1075.long.
In children, a probiotic mix of Bifidobacteria (B.) bifidum, B. infantis, B. longum, Lactobacilli (L.) casei, L. plantarum and L. rhamnosus has been shown to relieve constipation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2148043.
Controversies Related to Probiotics
The use of probiotics is still in its infancy, so a lot of kinks need to be sorted out such as:
- What is the optimum dosage of probiotics needed to achieve health benefits? Most of the studies done on optimum dosage have been done in animals and these may not be translatable to humans.
- How long can various probiotic strains survive the acidity of the stomach as they travel through the stomach?
- How long should probiotics be taken before you notice a difference in your health? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002586
Despite these questions, the verdict is in that probiotics are beneficial for your health.
What to look for when choosing a Probiotic
- The most important factor to look for when choosing a probiotic is the total number of bacteria, also known as colony-forming units in your probiotic. Although we still need more studies to find out the optimum number of bacteria needed, it is generally accepted that there should be at least 1 million colony forming units per ml for the probiotic to be effective. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5031164,https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4045285.
- Another thing to look for should be the number of strains of bacteria in your probiotic. Generally, the greater the number of strains in your probiotic, the better it is for general health.
- Thirdly, you if you are looking for a probiotic to relieve your constipation, you want to make sure it has the strains that have been proved to relieve constipation. These strains include Lactobacillus plantarum LP01, Bifidobacterium breve BR03 and Bifidobacterium lactis BS01.
- Last, but not the least, you need to look at whether your probiotic will survive the storage/shipping conditions. If your probiotic needs to be stored in cool conditions but arrives feeling warm, the bacteria are probably dead and you will not get any benefit from your probiotic https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5031164.
Best Probiotics For Constipation
This product contains 1.5 billion CFU per serving and 3 strains of bacteria (Lactobacillus gasseri, Bifidobacterium bifidum G9-1 and Bifidobacterium longum MM2).
As per the manufacturer, this probiotic is designed to prevent constipation, diarrhea, gas and bloating.
Serving size of 1 capsule.
Natural Riches Probiotics – Best For Women
This product contains 15 billion CFU per serving and 1 strain of bacteria; Bacillus Coagulans. It also contains prebiotics.
As per the manufacturer, this probiotic is designed to help with constipation and support your digestive system and the health of your colon.
Serving size of 1 tablet.
This product contains 40 billion CFU per serving and 4 strains of bacteria (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus paracasei).
As per the manufacturer, this probiotic is designed to support a healthy digestive system and boost your immunity.
Serving size of 2 capsules.
This product contain 15 billion CFU per serving and 13 strains of bacteria.
It also contains 10% of your daily value of iron.
Additionally, it contains the prebiotics barley grass and oat grass.
As per the manufacturer, this product relieves constipation and supports the health of your digestive system.
Serving size of 3 capsules.
This product contains 50 billion CFU per serving and 11 strains of bacteria.
As per the manufacturer, this product helps relieve digestive discomfort and boosts your immune system function.
It features a delayed release time capsule which protects the bacterial strains from the acid in your stomach.
Serving size of 1 capsule.
This product contains 5.75 billion CFU per serving and 7 strains of bacteria.
As per the manufacturer, this product relieves gas, bloating and occasional constipation.
Serving size of 1 capsule.
And the clear winner for me is the Naturelo Ultra Strength Probiotic!
It combines a range of benefits in one product. It has a great CFU COUNT and has the widest variety of strains of bacteria, making it suitable for overall health.
At the same time, it also provides a large variety of the strains of bacteria found to relieve constipation.
It is convenient to take, has a long shelf life and the bacterial strains are protected from the acidic environment of the stomach.
Last update on 2019-11-15 / Affiliate links / Images & Stars from Amazon Product Advertising API
References [ + ]